International Conference “Media and Information Literacy for Knowledge Societies” to take place in Moscow, Russian Federation
International Conference “Media and Information Literacy for Knowledge Societies” will take place on 24-28 June, 2012 in Moscow, Russian Federation. The conference is held under the framework of the Russian chairmanship in the UNESCO Information for All Programme (IFAP) Intergovernmental Council and is Russia’s contribution to the implementation of the Programme’s Strategic Plan.
- Ministry of Culture of the Russian Federation
- Federal Agency for Press and Mass Communications of the Russian Federation
- Commission of the Russian Federation for UNESCO
- UNESCO and UNESCO Information for All Programme
- International Federation of Library Associations and Institutions (IFLA)
- Russian Committee of the UNESCO Information for All Programme
- Interregional Library Cooperation Centre
- To raise public awareness of the significance, scale and topicality of the tasks of media and information literacy advocacy among information, media and educational professionals, government executives and public at large;
- To outline policies and professional strategies for the advocacy of media and information literacy and to identify the key existing challenges;
- To contribute to improving international, regional and national response to MIL issues, particularly on policies and legislation, development of tools required for the assessment and building MIL competencies, MIL research and other aspects in the field of media and information literacy promotion;
- To identify and promote best practices in the above fields and strengthen international cooperation among various stakeholders.
Working modalities of the conference
- Plenary sessions (keynotes, moderated panel debates, paper presentations, discussions);
- Small thematic working groups dedicated to specific tasks.
The conference will gather about 120 participants:
- Executives, representatives and experts of key specialised international governmental and non-governmental agencies and organisations (UNESCO, IFLA, International Federation of Journalists, etc.)
- World leading experts in the field of knowledge societies building
- Leading researchers and professors of journalism, librarianship and education
- IT&T industry representatives
- Executives and representatives of government authorities responsible for educational institutions, libraries, printed and electronic media
- Representatives of non-governmental associations of media and information literacy professionals
- Representatives of organisations and institutions engaged in publishing professional literature on media and information literacy
- Writers and scholars, specialising in philosophy, political science, social anthropology, culturology, media studies
- Media practitioners
English and Russian (simultaneous interpretation provided).
Atlas Park Hotel, a modern 4-star complex in picturesque surroundings 15 km from Moscow.
For more information, please visit http://www.atlas-hotel.ru/about;
the hotel photos - at http://www.me-atlas-park.ru/foto.html).
Address: 92, Sudakovo Village, Domodedovo District, Moscow Region.
The nearest Moscow international airport is Domodedovo.